I have been playing around with some wifi networking lately, stomatology mostly with the La Fonera, symptoms and finally decided to build a directional wifi antenna. Although the cantenna, infertility however, I don’t really like Pringles chips and wanted to make something more interesting. I decided to try and make a simple Yagi antenna with a magnetic dipole as the driving element.
From a construction standpoint, the Yagi antenna is made by spacing conducting rods along the directionality axis with a driving element near one end. It is assumed that the incoming radiation is a TEM plane wave, so the direction of the electric field component should be parallel to the conducting rod orientation. The magnetic component is then perpendicular to the rods and to the directionality of the antenna. The rods spacing is then configured so that the coupled EM field generates a magnetic field component (and a curling electric field component) along the directionality axis of the antenna which has constructive interference at the driving loop. Proper spacing then determines the antenna’s gain and directionality in the band of interest (2.4-2.5GHz).
As a first step, I decided to reproduce the Yagi design made available by Andrew Hakman who reproduced the dimensions of a commercial antenna. This first implementation will test the basic operation and is still missing fine tuning and optimization. I am pretty happy with the initial results which demonstrate a 10dBi gain, which is pretty nice given that it took roughly half an hour to assemble. I will use a more precise construction technique (EGX-300 to mill the main beam) and will work out the optimal metal rod length to magnetic dipole ratio. The main idea is that the loop length needs to support one of the resonant transmission modes for the given frequency while the rods should be as long as possible to increase gain, but shorter than the length of the loop. If anyone wants more info on Yagi theory of operation, please post a comment and I will try to write up a post about it.
To construct this, I used a 0.5×0.5 inch piece of wood for the main beam, and 0.125 inch zinc rods for the conductors. I cut the rods to match the lengths in the above design and sanded the ends to remove any pointy spots. I measured out the positions for the rods on a piece of tape and used a small drill press to make the holes. I then gently tapped the rods into place and removed the tape. I cut the loop out of a sheet of bronze, mainly because that is what I had around. It is better to use a strip (versus a round wire) here to make the loop more sensitive to magnetic field components along the directionality axis. Finally, I decided to minimize transmission losses and mounted a USB 802.11g adapter directly onto the loop. I hot-glued everything into place and went to a large set of windows to test out the contraption.
To benchmark the devices performance, I compared signal strengths to the internal wifi adapter on my Lenovo T60. The signal strengths for the same APs were comparable between the internal adapter and the intact USB adapter so any improvement that I saw here was likely due to the Yagi. Although it was sometimes challenging to find the right direction to point the Yagi, I noted a substantial increase in signal power when I switched Netstumbler between the internal and external wifi adapters. Over all, I consider this to be a success since I got better performance from the USB adapter by investing a few dollars and a hour of my time. The next version will be forthcoming in the next weeks and will hopefully display even better performance.